Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Look Outside the Ravens are Coming

I was thinking the other day about how it seems that we are always tight in the financial arena of our life. We work and work and work, and when we are done working, we work some more. And yet it seems like we can never make it over this mountain of financial instability. Then I remember my Homiletics class at CFNI, and the verse that was used for my graded sermon.

1 Kings 17
Elijah Fed by Ravens

1 Now Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe [a] in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word."
2 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah: 3 "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. 4 You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there."
5 So he did what the LORD had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. 6 The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook.

As I reread this it was an encouragement to me. Not because I’m a prophet or because it would be completely awesome to have birds bring me food every morning and evening. No it was an encouragement because I see that GOD is in control. This past week my wife (Samantha) has been really stressed out and feeling overwhelmed. I tell you guys that not to put her business on front street, but rather as an encouragement to her. “Babe when you read this, Remember, “Look outside, the ravens are coming””.
You see Elijah was obedient to the Lord’s commands and in turn the Lord took care of him and command the very raven to bring his servant substance. But if you notice they only came in the morning and in the even. So if you call yourself a servant of GOD, be obedient, and be amazed at how GOD provides for you. If GOD is challenging you to move into a new arena of your ministry, career, relationship(s), I challenge you to be obedient and if you don’t see GOD’s hand in action at first, I compel you, “Look outside, the ravens are coming”. Be still in your obedience and know that GOD is in control. Once again: “Look Outside, the Ravens are coming!!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He is in control..i need to remind myself of that..thanks