Monday, December 15, 2008

Was I Ment for More?



Ever since I was a little boy, I’ve always believed that I was alive to achieve great things. I’ve always had this burning inside of me to be great, to be amazing, and to be SOMEONE. In my Americanized thinking I figure that that ambition was to become famous or rich. Even as a Christian I figure that the burning that was in my heart was to become a “top dog” in the Christian realm. But this week in our small/life group we went over a portion of the bible that challenged my prior thinking.

Hebrews 11:32-42 (NIV)
32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned[a]; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. 40God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

As we read this passage in the Bible, I pondered on my prior belief of what my “great achievement” would be like. The fame and the money went out the window. Rising up the ranks of Christian society also evaporated in the immense heat of these verses. That night and the next day, I began to debate with myself. What if the burning in my heart to “achieve more” was not in reference to fame, glory and wealth? What if the yearning I had inside was a dormant, yet growing strength to be like the ancients. To suffer and indoor what they went through, and all to gain something unattainable in this earthly and decaying realm of Humanity.

I thought how we always strive to be the BEST. Our lives turn into a constant battle to “out do” this person, or “out perform” that person. What if instead of striving to be “THE BEST” we strove to “DO OUR BEST”. In striving to be the best we consume too much time and effort in everyone else’s accomplishments. Doing my best pins me against me and how much effort I put forward.

When I was a teenager I went on a mission’s trip with Youth for Christ, in Lebanon PA. We went to an Indian reservation in Mississippi. While we were boarding the bus to begin our journey, our leader asked each of us what we were looking forward to on the trip. Most of the answers were typical: to teach, to help people, to see new things. But one teens answer stunned our leader and all of us that heard him. The one thing he was looking forward to the most was “being persecuted”. You see even as a teen this boy got it. That if the ancients went through so much pain, ridicule, torture and need, then what makes me think I’m any better.

That was it, I realized that, I WAS alive to achieve more then I can possible imagine. That burning desire to fight and press on to a better life, that consumes me from the inside, was never for this life here on earth. I must be relentless and continue with the faith regardless of what may come, regardless of what might NOT come. So that one day, I when I get to heaven, my riches and my fame (with GOD) will be waiting for me. So that when I die and stand before Jesus, he will say “well done good and faithful servant. The world was not worthy of you.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so freakin inspiring. I love it