Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Beauty of the Night

When I was a child and growing up I was terrified of the dark. I hated being in the dark. I shuttered thinking about going into the dark.  And I never wanted to be outside alone at night.   I know to most that may have been an irrational fear I had. But I believe we are all born with an inherent fear of darkness, some just more t n others. For some it's the lack of visibility, and unclear direction. For others it's the uncertainty of what may waiting in the darkness, or who. And for others yet it is simply the inherent evil that is associated with the night. For me it was all of the above (isn't that great). But as I recently discovered there are plenty of endearing qualities of darkness. As I jogged/walked home last night at midnight and came face to face with my childhood foe, I was able to see the beauty of the night. I was able to enjoy the star filled sky (even seeing a satellite at one point.). If not for the darkness then these celestial bodies wound be visible. Buildings have a different ambiance about them when lite in the darkness, giving them an almost altered personality. There are points in our lives where we feel like we are in utter darkness. We are uncertain where we are going. We are afraid to move forward because we don't know what dangers may lye ahead. But if we do not move forward in the darkness we may miss out on the beauty created by the light in the night. Whether it be something as small as the stars in the sky or something as profound as a different perspective of something. I believe that we are implanted with a fear of darkness during creation. Some of us more then others. However we must learn to embrace the darkness. Not as much as the inherent "evil" that is attributed to it. Rather in the sense of the other world that can be see, the beauty of the Night.

No comments: